PSU Sensors - Associations

Shawn McCarney shawnmm at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Oct 25 03:38:46 AEDT 2019

Hi,

I didn't follow all of your terminology, so I might be off base here,
but in case it helps ...

There are two associations to power supply sensors from a Redfish/bmcweb
perspective:

* chassis <-> all sensors in chassis (including PSU sensors).  This is
needed because Redfish output is for a specific chassis.  We only want
sensors (including PSU sensors) from the specified chassis.

* PSU inventory item <-> all sensors for the PSU.  This is used in
several ways.  First, it allows us to store multiple PSU sensor values
in a single associated Redfish PowerSupply object (PowerInputWatts,
PowerOutputWatts).  Second, it allows us to look at the status of the
PSU inventory item (e.g. is it functional? present?) when setting the
status of the Redfish PSU sensor. Lastly, it allows us to access the VPD
(PartNumber, SerialNumber) of the PSU inventory item associated with a
PSU sensor.

This is documented here:
https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/architecture/sensor-architecture.md#redfish

If not relevant, sorry please ignore ...

Shawn