"No Hardware Required" qemu-system-arm no services running Ports 80, 443, and 623, why?

Joseph Reynolds jrey at linux.ibm.com
Wed Oct 16 15:26:55 AEDT 2019

On 10/15/19 1:49 PM, Bruce Mitchell wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In the 11/3/2016 CAusten-OpenBMC.pdf presentation it is stated, on
> page 12 of 18, "No Hardware Required".
>
> I have obmc-phosphor-image-romulus.static.mtd and
> obmc-phosphor-image-s2600wf-20191004165402.static.mtd
>
> booting with qemu-system-arm and login in, however neither have any
> TCP servers running on Ports 80, 443, and 623.
>
> So what am I missing in the process?

Just a hunch...  The updated docs are in:
https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/development/README.md
Specifically, the "Development Environment Setup" doc walks you through
how you can run your OpenBMC firmware image on an QEMU virtual BMC, and
it talks about mapping ports 443 etc. from your test host to your QEMU
system.

There are customized instructions for developing for BMCWeb here:
https://github.com/openbmc/bmcweb/blob/master/DEVELOPING.md

I was able to follow those instructions to download a QEMU image and
start it, build a customized version of bmcweb and upload it to the QEMU
system, and connect to bmcweb via (mapped) port 2443.

If you are looking to build a firmware image from scratch, I assume you
found: https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/blob/master/README.md
The "OpenBMC Cheatsheet" link has more details about how to build a QEMU
system, map portts, etc.

- Joseph