guidelines on new entity-manager classes

James Feist james.feist at linux.intel.com
Wed Nov 27 04:28:30 AEDT 2019

On 11/25/19 5:02 PM, Brad Bishop wrote:
> Hi James
>
> another EM question for you...
>
> Are there any guidelines or best practices on upstreaming EM configurations?  Put another way, if I wanted to ensure that you would accept my configurations with new types or classes (e.g. Pid, ADC, etc..), what would I need to do up front to make that process as smooth as it can be?

EM configurations are meant to be flexible, and as long as the daemon
understands it, and the Type is unique, there shouldn't be any issues.
There is a script here to make it a bit more pretty that CI will fail if
it is not ran
https://github.com/openbmc/entity-manager/blob/master/scripts/autojson.py.
The only real things that block configuration reviews are things that
can make them shorter (using the template stuff when possible). But as
they are per vendor, I normally let each vendor own their own destiny
with the files.

There is a json schema
https://github.com/openbmc/entity-manager/blob/master/schemas/global.json
that I eventually have the dream of creating a script to generate a
schema for every checked-in Type, but I'm not there yet.

-James