Redfish OpenBMC OEM

Joseph Reynolds jrey at linux.ibm.com
Thu Nov 21 02:57:45 AEDT 2019

On 11/19/19 1:04 PM, James Feist wrote:
> On 11/19/19 10:03 AM, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
>> On 11/19/19 10:23 AM, Gunnar Mills wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> The process seems a little light for adding OpenBMC OEM Redfish
>>> properties and schemas. Can we establish a little more stringent
>>> process for adding these? Can we try to upstream these to the
>>> Redfish standard first before they are added as OpenBMC OEM? Do we
>>> need a design template or someway to collaborate before the OpenBMC
>>> OEM schema or properties are added? Are we okay if pretty
>>> architectural-specific or company-specific properties and schemas
>>> are under the "OpenBMC" OEM namespace?
>>>

>> I suggest getting started with a survey of what the project has.
>> Given that we have Redfish Oem.OpenBMC Properties, we should document
>> them (suggest: docs/designs/Redfish-Oem-Resources.md and using a
>> format similar to the Redfish spec).  Doing so will help:
>> - users know what to expect from the interfaces,
>> - developers to understand the interface, and
>> - the OpenBMC community to help move these fields into the Redfish spec.
>>
>> The proposed Redfish-Oem-Resources document would serve as a good
>> focal point for collaboration within OpenBMC as to how we want to
>> extend the Redfish spec.
>
> There is already schema checked in for everything Oem, refer
> https://github.com/openbmc/bmcweb/tree/master/static/redfish/v1/schema
>
> OemAccountService
> OemComputerSystem
> OemManager
>
> Redfish uses schema to define these things, I'd rather continue using
> the schema files instead of creating a new document that could become
> out of date quickly.

James, thanks for that reference.  You're way ahead of me.

Would the bmcweb/static/redfish/v1/schema directory be an adequate focal
point for collaboration?  I think so:
  - Is it complete?  Does it list all of the OpenBMC Oem resources? Or
(contrarywise) does OpenBMC have Oem resources which are not represented
in that collection?
  - It seems like it is easy to search.
  - It would be easy to identify proposed changes to files in this
directory during a gerrit review.

Gunnar, does that begin to address your concern?

- Joseph