RE: BMC can’t get watchdog status by command “mc watchdog get” when system power is off

Wayne Tung/WYHQ/Wiwynn Wayne_Tung at wiwynn.com
Wed Nov 20 19:35:01 AEDT 2019

Vishwa,

Thanks for replying!

Here is our thought and response.

- Could you help show which section demands this service to be mandatory available per IPMI v2.0 ?
-> This command is in section 27.7 Get Watchdog Timer Command in IPMI v2.0.

- What do you expect IPMI to tell when the host is off ?
We expect that IPMI can tell user the last status of watchdog because we want to let users know which stage of booting failed when host power on failed.

The information we want to know is as follow:

  1.  Watchdog Timer Use: Which stage of booting use the watchdog timer.
  2.  Watchdog Timer Actions: Watchdog timeout action.
  3.  Initial Countdown: Initial time of watchdog timer.

Here is an example of IPMI mc watchdog get response
Watchdog Timer Use:     Reserved (0x80)
Watchdog Timer Is:      Stopped
Watchdog Timer Actions: Hard Reset (0x01)
Pre-timeout interval:   0 seconds
Timer Expiration Flags: 0x00
Initial Countdown:      30 sec
Present Countdown:      30 sec