2 patch dependency

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Tue Nov 19 11:35:09 AEDT 2019

On Tue, Nov 05, 2019 at 09:27:21AM -0500, Brad Bishop wrote:

> > On Nov 1, 2019, at 3:18 PM, Vijay Khemka <vijaykhemka at fb.com> wrote:
> >
> > We have issue of merging 2 commit which are dependent to each other. I am not sure how are we going address this.
>
> I’m working on this today:
>
> https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/openbmc/+/26910

Do we have any sort of topic-based multi-repo testing?  If not, is there
any interest in developing it?

I implemented this on another project:
   * Whenever Jenkins was triggered by Gerrit, it looked at the
     GERRIT_TOPIC variable to determine if the change belonged to a
     topic.
   * If the commit was in a topic, Jenkins queried Gerrit for all open
     changes that belonged to the same topic.  Using `repo`, Jenkins
     would extract all of these changes into a working directory and
     `bitbake` to kick off a build.

This was useful both commits that spanned metas and for commits that
involved both code and recipe changes.  This was really useful for
changes that added a new dependency so you didn't have to add a
free-standing recipe update with a "trust me, the code is coming that is
going to need this dependency" kind of comment.

I know we're not using `repo` right now and so there is some work
involved in making this span the OpenBMC code repositories, but a simple
first step would be to get this working across the meta subtrees.  Would
this help changes like Vijay's so we don't need to involve a cross-meta
maintainer?

--
Patrick Williams