meta-ibm restructuring

Brad Bishop bradleyb at fuzziesquirrel.com
Sat Nov 16 02:37:55 AEDT 2019

> On Nov 14, 2019, at 9:06 PM, Lei YU <mine260309 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 1:51 AM Brad Bishop <bradleyb at fuzziesquirrel.com> wrote:
>>
>> the meta-witherspoon layer in meta-ibm supports a number of machine targets beyond witherspoon.  the meta-ibm layer itself is nearly empty.
>
> Before the change, meta-ibm layer has below:
>
>  bmcweb
>  dbus
>  dump
>  interfaces
>  logging
>  packagegroups
>
> I do not think it's confusing because it defines the necessary recipes
> for ibm machines.

It doesn’t though - there are also a number of bbappends defined in meta-witherspoon that are also required for ibm systems.

>> This is confusing to say the least, so I am doing some restructuring in the meta-ibm layer such that everything will simply be in meta-ibm:
>>
>> https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/meta-ibm/+/27263
>>
>> Please let me know if you have any concerns.
>
> The commit moves everything from meta-witherspoon to meta-ibm, which
> makes a machine that inherits meta-ibm inherits everything from
> meta-witherspoon.

That’s just it - the only thing that uses meta-ibm (that I am aware of anyway) are the systems in meta-witherspoon.

> Is that intended?

yes.

> Ideally, the recipes (bbappends) in meta-witherspoon has
> append_MACHINE so it will not impact other machines. But can we make
> sure every single recipe has correct append_MACHINE?

Yes this is generally a best practice in any bbappend.

When everything is done we’ll have the following structure:

meta-openpower:
  recipes and bbappends for any power system
  full support for openpower reference systems (palmetto, romulus)

meta-ibm:
  recipes and bbappends for ibm products
  full support for all ibm products

To put it another way - a minimal bblayers.conf for any openpower reference systems will look like:

oe-core
meta-openembedded
meta-aspeed
meta-phosphor
meta-openpower

a minimal bblayers.conf for any ibm product will look like (the same as an openpower reference system but with meta-ibm added)

oe-core
meta-openembedded
meta-aspeed
meta-phosphor