openbmc project for telemetry

Brad Bishop bradleyb at fuzziesquirrel.com
Fri Nov 15 00:57:04 AEDT 2019

> On Nov 14, 2019, at 5:55 AM, Adrian Ambrożewicz <adrian.ambrozewicz at linux.intel.com> wrote:
>
> So now it's time for silly questions...
>
> What should be my first steps as maintainer?

I would add MAINTAINERS, LICENSE and README files.  Add a clang-format file to avoid quibbling over style.  Select a build system.  Many OpenBMC projects are moving to meson.  Ask Andrew to enable the repository CI job on the telemetry repo.  Start submitting patches for review.

And if you are willing, document the process as you go though it and add that to the maintainer workflow document for the next person :-)

> I've found guide here https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/maintainer-workflow.md but its general.
> I'm more interested in technical side of things.
> - Is Linux MAINTAINERS format utilized for automation or information about code maintainers should be just included in README file in repo? MAINTAINERS file is referenced in https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/maintainer-workflow.md but I don't see that in every repo..

Most OpenBMC projects are using this format:

https://github.com/openbmc/hiomapd/blob/master/MAINTAINERS

I’m not aware of any automation that has been built around that file format though.  FWIW I intend to implement the owners plugin on our gerrit installation in the near future:

https://gerrit.googlesource.com/plugins/owners/

so you could make use of that if you wanted.

> - Should maintainer have additional access for repo/gerrit config?

You have owner acesss (full access) on the project.  You can delegate or give that to others here: https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/admin/groups/45,members

-brad