Packaging and deploying multiple firmware image types in one

Adriana Kobylak anoo at linux.ibm.com
Wed Nov 13 09:54:22 AEDT 2019

On 2019-11-12 01:49, Alexander A. Filippov wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 01:28:11PM -0600, Adriana Kobylak wrote:
>
> We use the system bundle of BMC + Host firmware on our VESNIN hardware.

How are you currently building the bundled image, do you include the
Host firmware in the BMC rootfs, or do you have separate image files
(bmc fw file, host fw file) in a single tarball?

> There are some things which cause discomfort a little bit:
> - The uploaded system bundle isn't shown in the WebUI.
> - The system bundle has only one version field which is common for BMC
> and Host
>   firmwares.

Do you think the ExtendedVersion d-bus property could help in this case?
For example adding to the manifest "extended_version=host-v1.2."

> - After rebooting BMC, which is required to complete update the BMC
> firmware
>   the system bundle turns to two separated instances in D-Bus which has
> its own
>   real versions.

Yeah, the purpose is not currently preserved across reboots. I have a
change here for that:
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/phosphor-bmc-code-mgmt/+/27045

> Thus, I thought about putting the separate manifests for each part of
> the
> bundle.

If you go the route of adding a second manifest, would you have them in
a separate tarball (bmc image + manifest) and (host image + manifest)
then put those tarballs inside a tarball? since the manifest file name
would be the same.