[Design] PSU firmware update

Adriana Kobylak anoo at linux.ibm.com
Thu Jun 6 00:42:19 AEST 2019

On 2019-06-05 09:25, Matt Spinler wrote:
>>> We would like the option to be able to ship the PSU firmware as part
>>> of
>>> the BMC image (in the root filesystem). This means that it is already
>>> present and authenticated when the BMC boots. In this way, we know
>>> that
>>> the current BMC firmware plays well with the PSU firmware and have
>>> fewer
>>> variables to test for when making a release.
>> Because the PSU firmware is part of BMC image, this seems a completely
>> different approach, and more like part of BMC image update, is it?
>> I would expect this should not be part of this design, what do you
>> think?
>
> FYI, I am 99% sure this is how IBM needs its systems to work as

There's a Version Purpose of "System"[1] that "is an aggregate for the
system as a whole." IBM is planning to use this to bundle the BMC and
host firmware in a single file, which as Vernon mentions would ensure
that one is compatible with the other.

Not saying the proposed PSU design has to include the 'combined image'
details, we can just have a mentioning that it can be an option and we
can re-discuss how a bmc+PSU could look like once I send some details on
the bmc+host image in the next few months.

[1]
https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-dbus-interfaces/blob/57b878d048f929643276f1bf7fdf750abc4bde8b/xyz/openbmc_project/Software/Version.interface.yaml#L24