Packaging and deploying multiple firmware image types in one

Adriana Kobylak anoo at linux.ibm.com
Tue Nov 12 06:28:11 AEDT 2019

There was some discussion in the "PSU firmware update" proposal[1] about
bundling firmware images together such as the BMC and PSU firmware. The
Software interface defines these bundles as a "System" version[2].

At IBM, we're starting to create a "System" bundle of BMC + host
firmware by adding a recipe that would add the host's firmware files to
the BMC's squashfs[3].

One of the pending items is determining how to showcase the version of
these System images in Redfish. We can assume that the version of a
System image corresponds to the BMC's "FirmwareVersion", but it's
unknown what else the bundle contains (host fw, PSU fw, PCIe fw,..), in
order to populate the other version fields such as "BiosVersion".
There's a D-Bus "Extended Version" property[4] that could be leveraged
to add the additional image information.

Feel free to share if you have any thoughts on this item or any aspect
of these "System" images.

---
[1] https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2019-June/016573.html
[2]