webui: setting Boot.Mode and Boot.Source

Jandra A jandraara at gmail.com
Fri May 31 06:09:47 AEST 2019

Hello Wim,

 I don’t think it is suitable for us to co-create the GUI. We are
> definitely not GUI experts.
>

> What is important for us is that the user can access the possibilities of
> the BMC using the GUI. Another thing that is of importance is that the GUI
> is configurable. A specific implementation may not support all OpenBMC
> features. It should be possible to disable them in the GUI.

No need to worry about not being GUI experts. We would love to work with
you to better understand the things you think are important in the GUI and
how you envision them working, no need to think about exactly how that
translates to a GUI -- we can propose on that end. The important thing is
to understand how you and users think of features and how you use them so
that we can design for that.
For example, when you say 'possibilities' and 'configurable', what are you
referring to? What things do you think would need to be disabled and when?

Ideally the GUI should have a way to detect support and enable and disable
> the support dynamically. The possibility to do this using variables during
> build time is also a good alternative.

Is this for what you are referring to above with some features being
disabled in the GUI?

Basically the schedule for the boot option implementation surprises me. To
> me the implementation seems fairly simple and if a GUI is supported this is
> one of the things that is important to the user.

Can you give more clarity on this? Are you saying the ability to do a
single one-time boot for a 'next reboot' is important to the user? If so,
why is it important?

Best,
Jandra A