New Event Log Create API

Matt Spinler mspinler at linux.ibm.com
Fri May 31 04:50:31 AEST 2019

Hi,

I proposed a pure D-Bus API to create an OpenBMC event log here:
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/phosphor-dbus-interfaces/+/22053.

I did this for a few reasons:

1) To avoid scraping the journal to find the metadata, and then just turning
around and making a D-Bus call anyway.

2) To allow the code to pass through some extra data that could go to a
logging
extension. (see my proposal here:
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/phosphor-logging/+/21897).

3) It's hard to write code (I think) that uses new error logs, as the error
yaml has to merge before you can compile, and you have to do things like
use an
sdbusplus namespace for the log type, and an xyz namespace for the
metadata.  Or
if you put the YAML in your own repo, then you have to make sure you
bbappend
phosphor-logging to tell them about the metadata.

There would be no plans to change the existing interfaces, like
elog/commit/report, which can also still be used to return exceptions across
D-Bus calls.

This does mean an error wouldn't have to be in the YAML files. Does anyone
feel strongly about this?  If so, can anyone think of another way to
ease the
pain of 3), while also solving 2)?

Thanks,
Matt