Moving kernel to 5.1

Joel Stanley joel at jms.id.au
Wed May 8 18:29:27 AEST 2019

Hello OpenBMC developers,

Linux 5.1 was tagged a few days ago. I've rebased the openbmc tree on
this release and pushed a dev-5.1 branch to github.

Please take a look at the bump commit, give it a spin on your
hardware, and +1 if it looks good to you:

 https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/meta-aspeed/+/21212
 https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/meta-nuvoton/+/21287

I've had a look at the patches we're carrying in the tree. The numbers
on the left is the patch count, and the number on the right is the
number of openbmc kernel tree rebases the patch has survived. Note
that three or more rebases should be considered bad, and should have
someone assigned to help move the code upstream.

$ git log v5.1..dev-5.1 | grep OpenBMC-Staging | sort | uniq -c

      3     OpenBMC-Staging-Count: 1
     46     OpenBMC-Staging-Count: 2

These commits include the fixes recently made to the aspeed-video
driver, device tree updates, and config changes.

     27     OpenBMC-Staging-Count: 3

There are two main components here:

 * PECI. Jae said that he is re-working the series to use configs, so
there is some more work to do before submitting upstream.

 * nuvoton drivers: I haven't had an update from our Nuvoton team.
There are the ethernet mac, i2c, pci mailbox, bios post code and
spi-nor drivers.

      2     OpenBMC-Staging-Count: 4
      3     OpenBMC-Staging-Count: 5
     10     OpenBMC-Staging-Count: 6
     11     OpenBMC-Staging-Count: 7

These patches are quite old. They include:

 *  maxim fan controller: this driver has some hacks to work around
bad i2c behavior, as well as some device tree bindings that were not
accepted upstream. Andrew J has plans to work on this.

 * aspeed spi-nor driver: upstream has asked us to re-write using the
spi-mem framework. Cedric plans to work on this when he has time.

 * DPS310 temp sensor: this driver needed pressure sensor support
before upstream would take it. Eddie is working on that now, with v1
on the lists.

 * aspeed mbox: the openpower machines have stopped using this device.
We will drop the driver from the tree in the 5.2 timeframe

Cheers,

Joel