pid control configuration

Vijay Khemka vijaykhemka at fb.com
Tue May 7 04:18:24 AEST 2019

On 5/6/19, 9:20 AM, "Ed Tanous" <ed.tanous at intel.com> wrote:

    On 5/2/19 4:24 PM, Vijay Khemka wrote:
    >  My understanding here is pid data are only defined for temp sensors which will generate pwm values for fan.

    The above is not how phosphor pid control operates.  The temperature
    controllers "request" a given fan RPM, then the fan PID controller
    (which is scanned much more quickly than the temperature controllers)
    attempts to drive the fan to that speed.  This ends up being a two stage
    feedback loop that can perform better than a single PID loop.
Where would I get data for Fan pid whatever data  we get from thermal team are
Only for temperature pids.

    In control theory, this is called a "Cascade" control scheme

    https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__en.wikipedia.org_wiki_PID-5Fcontroller-23Cascade-5Fcontrol&d=DwICaQ&c=5VD0RTtNlTh3ycd41b3MUw&r=v9MU0Ki9pWnTXCWwjHPVgpnCR80vXkkcrIaqU7USl5g&m=gRrQtSejyIRsjuPS0GfqwX6bOmjSCOqs7BU5oina6oM&s=o56OqsqtJgiAeHSyp3Zd4yb8oFO8lzH-DIYsokTyc48&e=

Thanks for this.

    -Ed