pid control configuration

Ed Tanous ed.tanous at intel.com
Tue May 7 02:20:17 AEST 2019

On 5/2/19 4:24 PM, Vijay Khemka wrote:
>  My understanding here is pid data are only defined for temp sensors which will generate pwm values for fan.

The above is not how phosphor pid control operates.  The temperature
controllers "request" a given fan RPM, then the fan PID controller
(which is scanned much more quickly than the temperature controllers)
attempts to drive the fan to that speed.  This ends up being a two stage
feedback loop that can perform better than a single PID loop.

In control theory, this is called a "Cascade" control scheme

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PID_controller#Cascade_control

-Ed