A few questions regarding porting to a new board

Stephen Boylan sboylan at ircona.com
Thu Mar 21 04:11:57 AEDT 2019

Hello all,

I've been looking at OpenBMC for the last week or so and I'm in the process of porting it to a new board based on an AST2500. I've been onto a few people with some questions on the IRC, but I figured for these few that this would be a better location.

I've been using the meta-evb/meta-ast2500/ as a basis as the board uses that BMC.

So far I've been able to figure out

  *   Include the phosphor-webui package
  *   Configure the identify LED to toggle on and off through the web-ui and also a button on the board

Here are some issues I've run into and I'm wondering if anyone has any answers or tips they could help out with.

I've been trying to set up some GPIOs and I was able to add LED and GPIO Keys, but I'm having trouble with power related pins. I added a gpio_defs.json file and tried a rebuild but noticed that it wasn't ending up in the target rootfs. I noticed then that by including conf/machine/include/openpower.inc in my machine.conf file that it would.

  *   Is the workbook still a requirement? Do I need to make a .py file as my workbook? Is there one location where all GPIOs should be defined or are they separated out into different services now?
  *   Should conf/machine/include/openpower.inc be the first thing to add to a machine.conf file or is it better to select the features manually?
     *   Are there any default configurations that are needed in new machines? From looking at a few different ones (ast2500/Romulus/etc) there doesn't seem to me to be a standard structure.

>From what I can tell I have phosphor-state-manager included in my build, but obmcutil is not present. Is there a way to verify that I'm using the correct phosphor-state-manager and to include obmcutil?

  *   As mentioned I don't currently have a workbook. I've noticed that nothing seems to be happening when I try power on the system. Is that because of the lack of a workbook?

I'd really appreciate any guidelines or assistance and I appreciate what help I have gotten so far on IRC.

Regards,
Stephen Boylan