API authentication

Joseph Reynolds jrey at linux.ibm.com
Tue Mar 19 01:58:33 AEDT 2019

On 2019-03-18 05:35, Brad Bishop wrote:
> I am looking for ideas on how to implement a mechanism to restrict
> access to
> specific methods of a service/API (e.g. Redfish).
>
> This would be orthogonal to role-based authorization - e.g. the
> authorization
> would be provided by someone other than the system administrator - e.g.
> the
> system manufacturer.

Is this a followup to the March 4 OpenBMC Community call?
https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/wiki/Weekly-Community-Telecon

My understanding is that we would design and code the BMC with functions
for things like manufacturing test and specialized diagnostics ...
functions which could harm the device, etc.   So we want the functions
to be present for manufacturing test and service calls, but locked out
for all other users.  Is that what this mechanism is for?

- Joseph