API authentication

Brad Bishop bradleyb at fuzziesquirrel.com
Mon Mar 18 21:35:04 AEDT 2019

I am looking for ideas on how to implement a mechanism to restrict access to
specific methods of a service/API (e.g. Redfish).

This would be orthogonal to role-based authorization - e.g. the authorization
would be provided by someone other than the system administrator - e.g. the
system manufacturer.

I think I want OAuth for this with these definitions:

resource owner: system manufacturer
client: any user of the API (could be application specific but not required)
resource: data flowing over the API being authorized

Could the system manufacturer authorize clients on non-internet connected BMCs?

Is there a better way to go about this?

Does anyone have any experience with something like this?  I would love to be
pointed to further reading, code, or just your thoughts in general.

thx - Brad