phosphor-ipmi-flash v1.0 -> v1.1

Patrick Venture venture at google.com
Sat Jun 29 01:08:52 AEST 2019

Hi all;

phosphor-ipmi-flash v1.0 is rolling out in the next couple of days.
It supports sending a BMC firmware image (static or ubi-tarball) to
the BMC and verifying and updating with that image.  You must provide
your own verification service -- because presumably each company has
their own verification scheme.  We're using a service that checks that
it was signed with a private key, we have the public on the BMC --
pretty straight forward use-case as an example.  The update service
provides a default:no option you can enable that will just reboot the
BMC, otherwise you'll need to provide an update service
implementation.  You can do whatever you want.  I'm likely going to
work with Adriana to come up with a default UBI tarball one -- for
those using that, then it can provide that option if you have that
distro_feature enabled.

The burn_my_bmc tool build and usage will be detailed in the README
file, should be landing this week or next.

v1.1:  I've received a request to extend this to support the host
BIOS.  I'm working on the design changes to support either a BMC, a
BIOS, or other firmware image.  To avoid adding another link in the
dynamic loader chain from ipmid though, I'm looking at this as a case
of pre-canned options you can compile-in versus searching for
additional support in libraries (although it's somewhat trivial to
transition from one approach to the other).  At least for now, that's
the design direction.  But we'll see once it's more fleshed out.

Patrick