Enhance Discovery class infrastructure

Asmitha Karunanithi asmithakarun at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 19:10:57 AEST 2019

Hi All,

Below is the design document for enhancing the discovery class
infrastructure.

# Enhance Discovery class infrastructure

Primary assignee:
  Asmitha KR

Other contributors:
  Ratan K Gupta

Created:
  2019-06-28

## Problem Description
Avahi is a system which facilitates service discovery on a local network via
the mDNS/DNS-SD protocol suite. It allows programs to publish and discover
services running on a local network. The format of the Avahi service file is
in the "Background and References[1]" section. We have a requirement where
the
management console needs to identify the vendor-specific servers in a
network.

## Background and References
[1]
https://github.com/lathiat/avahi/blob/master/avahi-daemon/example.service
[2] https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/meta-phosphor/+/22950
[3] https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/meta-ibm/+/22951

## Requirements
None.

## Proposed Design
The services that are being published by avahi have various fields like -
service name, type, port, hostname, address, port, and a text record. To
solve
the above-listed problem, we are proposing a solution in which the
vendor-specific information is included in the text record field of the
avahi
service file.

To do so, currently, in OpenBMC we have the infrastructure where the
service-specific data is passed through a specific service bb file.
Depending
on the distro feature(slp or avahi), it generates the service file with the
given data. We are enhancing this infrastructure to add the vendor-specific
information in the avahi service file(under txt-record).

There is a commit "Background and References[2 & 3]" section which is up for
review.

## Alternatives Considered
None.

## Impacts
None.

## Testing
The path /etc/avahi/services contain all the services that avahi publishes
on
startup.
--
Thanks & Regards,