OpenBMC on eMMC NAND

Adriana Kobylak anoo at linux.ibm.com
Tue Jun 18 02:26:55 AEST 2019

Hi all,

Joel and I have been working on getting OpenBMC to run on an eMMC NAND.
For the kernel, there'll be some patches coming to support it.
For the rootfs, the proposal is to have an ext4 filesystem, and use lvm
for volume management, which allows for dynamic partitioning.
For proof of concept, we're starting to build an ext4 BMC image for
IBM's system Swift[1]. Up next is creating an initramfs that supports
lvm, and update the code update apps to handle ext4 images and lvm
volumes. Thinking of creating an 'lvm' or 'ext4' distro feature like the
'ubi' one to enable this new support during build time.
Let us know if there are any opinions, questions, or interest. Look for
updates on the mailing list as we continue to make progress.

[1] https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/meta-ibm/+/22436