[RFC v2 dev-5.1 4/5] i2c: aspeed: add buffer mode transfer support

Joel Stanley joel at jms.id.au
Thu Jul 18 15:58:36 AEST 2019

Hey Jae,

On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 at 16:05, Jae Hyun Yoo <jae.hyun.yoo at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> > Do you want we to merge this series into the openbmc tree for further testing?
>
> Yes please. It would be good if it gets tested on more various platforms
> before upstreaming it.

I did this and hit some issues.

The first one is that we don't support this with the qemu model yet
and so kernel crashes when probing i2c. This is bad, as we gate
commits to the openbmc yocto tree on them passing a qemu boot test.

Secondly, the changes you have made to the driver are incompatible
with the old device tree. I thought I could revert the device tree
change in order to get the old behavior, but the driver fails to
probe. In general we strive to make kernel changes compatible with old
versions of the device tree. I think that can be achieved here with
some thought.

Cedric will try to resolve the qemu issue. If you could create a
version of the patch that makes the driver compatible with the old
device tree that would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Joel