Could phosphor-hwmon support peci-sensors

Vijay Khemka vijaykhemka at fb.com
Wed Jul 10 06:20:24 AEST 2019

On 7/8/19, 11:29 AM, "openbmc on behalf of James Feist" <openbmc-bounces+vijaykhemka=fb.com at lists.ozlabs.org on behalf of james.feist at linux.intel.com> wrote:

    On 7/8/19 10:52 AM, Brad Bishop wrote:
    > On Mon, Jul 08, 2019 at 12:33:21PM +0000, Duke Du (杜祥嘉) wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>  I have some problems with phosphor-hwmon.
    >> Could package phosphor-hwmon supports peci sensors such as cpu and
    >> dimm tempatures ?
    >> If yes, could you give me some hints that how do I write configuration
    >> for peci sensors, please :).
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >> Duke, Du
    >
    > phosphor-hwmon should work with anything that implements the hwmon ABI.
    > So I think to make PECI sensors work with phosphor-hwmon, you need hwmon
    > drivers for PECI sensors.  I don't know if anyone is working on that.
    >
    > I suspect the other sensor application - dbus-sensors supports PECI just
    > fine.  But I don't know how it works, if it can be used without entity
    > manager,  and/or if it can be run in parallel with phosphor-hwmon.

    + Jae, CPU Sensor Author

    https://github.com/openbmc/dbus-sensors/blob/master/src/CPUSensorMain.cpp

    CPU sensor currently supports PECI sensors
    https://github.com/openbmc/dbus-sensors/blob/master/src/CPUSensor.cpp

    https://github.com/openbmc/entity-manager/blob/f861da89ed03f9ec556c5ed6ac819988c0c1f498/configurations/WFT%20Baseboard.json#L2181

    It does require entity-manager currently, but it could be run in
    parallel with phosphor-hwmon.

There is peci driver along with hwmon peci driver available in openbmc linux kernel 5.3
which will take care of hwmon interface. And there are also peci-dimm and peci-cpu
driver to read cpu and dimm sensors. Once these drivers enabled, it sould work with
phosphor-hwmon without entity manager and dbus-sensors.

Regards
-Vijay

    -James