Some questions about recipes-phosphor/inventory

Brad Bishop bradleyb at fuzziesquirrel.com
Tue Jul 9 06:46:00 AEST 2019

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 05:39:39AM +0000, Tony Lee (李文富) wrote:
>Hi Brad,

Hi Tony

It took me about three weeks to reply to this - so if you've picked one
approach already I understand.

>As our phosphor-nvme proposal, https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/docs/+/19061
>it will set properties to D-bus "xyz.openbmc_project.Inventory.Manager" and object paths are
>"/xyz/openbmc_project/inventory/system/chassis/motherboard/nvme(index)"
>
>I have found two ways to achieve the above goals, but I have some problems with these two methods.
>
>1.Add a yaml file to openbmc/meta-phosphor/recipes-phosphor/inventory to create those object paths.
I'm not sure you need any yaml files at all.  In your design you
mentioned a json config file to be read by a new nvme manager
application.  That seems suitable.

>Creating a bb file named “phosphor-inventory-manager-nvme.bb” and follow the way like “phosphor-inventory-manager-assettag.bb”.
I wouldn't recommend this...and I don't see how it fits into your design
(19061)?

>One of the problems is that not every developer needs these paths.
I'm not sure what you are meaning or why you are worried about here.
Developers can always leave nvme-manager out of their configuration if
they don't need it.  What am I not understanding?

>Another question is that it doesn't know how many NVMe drives were used for other projects
It seems like the new nvme manager application would know how many
nvme drives there are, and thus knows how many times to call
xyz.openbmc_project.Inventory.Mananger.Notify.

>2.Add a description of how to create object paths to D-bus "xyz.openbmc_project.Inventory.Manager" and give an example in README file.
Adding documentation is always a good idea and very appreciated.

>Which approach do you think is better or do you have any other suggestions?
I think the third option would be to have your new nvme manager
application call xyz.openbmc_project.Inventory.Mananger.Notify when it
finds new nvme drives and their corresponding inventory information
(serial number, etc).  Have you looked at that and could it meet your
needs?

thx - brad