SNMP query

Ratan Gupta ratagupt at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Jan 30 05:52:17 AEDT 2019

Hi Susan,

On 29/01/19 11:01 PM, susan jasinski wrote:

> On the GUI SNMP panel, all customers that we tested told us that they
> want the ability to test the manager host name or IP address that they
> provide to be sure that it is accurate. Right now, the BMC does not
> have this ability.

I wanted to get more info on this, Currently SNMP D-Bus service on the
BMC does the validation for whether the IP is reachable or not as part
of configuration.

Suppose if admin configures the hostname/ip which is valid end
point(pingable hostname/ip) but not the SNMP trapdaemon, In this
scenario what is customer expectation?

SNMP trapdaemon works on UDP, and the trapdaemon(162) listens only the
trap messages not the SNMP agent messages.

*BMC uses the SNMP for sending the trap messages to the SNMP trapdaemon.*

Below link seems useful if BMC would have been SNMP client(sending
messages to port 161) and SNMP agent is sitting outside the BMC and on
BMC I run the command SNMPwalk to find that the configured IP address is
SNMP agent or not which is not the case here.

> My team did some digging around on the internet and found this SNMP
> query suggestion.
> https://support.panorama9.com/hc/en-us/articles/203568188-Test-if-SNMP-devices-are-responding-correctly-to-SNMP-queries
>

> I am looking for feedback on whether we _should_ implement something
> similar?
> - If we get a response from an SNMP enabled device in the backend,
> then we would provide a  validation message like "Device responded to
> the SNMP query"
>
> - If we do not get a response, then we would provide a validation
> message like "Invalid host name or IP address, or the device did not
> respond to the SNMP query"
>
> I am open to suggestions for the messages.
>

> image.png
>

> -- Susan Jasinski

Regards

Ratan