Proposal for pldmtool

Tom Joseph tomjose at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Feb 28 17:28:09 AEDT 2019

On Thursday 21 February 2019 11:12 PM, Supreeth Venkatesh wrote:
> Tom,
>
> Thanks for sending this out as a feeler.
> This sounds like a logical next step after implementation of PLDM and MCTP.
> However, I have a couple of initial questions.
>
> " A provision to run pldmtool targeting OpenBMC over a custom network port and route the request to the PLDM daemon."
> 1. Do you think it is ok to use this as external interface to BMC? I was under the impression that IPMI or Redfish were external facing interfaces to BMC.
>       PLDM was intended for inside the box communications.
I agree that PLDM is intended for inside the box communications. The
proposal is not to use it as an external interface, but rather give a
provision to run pldmtool from outside the box.

> 2. Why not use Redfish device enablement for PLDM, so that the tool (typically http/s client) will issue PLDM requests in the form of Json payload.
I think it is not guaranteed that the management controllers
implementing pldm has https support.

> 3. Can you describe the use case for the tool to be run on host firmware? In my opinion, this is highly unlikely though it can be run from host user space.
This might not be a typical use-case to run pldmtool from host firmware.
I was curious to know if someone will be interested to do this. But we
do see a possibility of running it from Host OS targeting the BMC, just
like ipmitool can be run from the host targeting the BMC via KCS/BT
interfaces.