Proposal for pldmtool

Deepak Kodihalli dkodihal at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Sat Feb 23 01:17:08 AEDT 2019

On 21/02/19 11:12 PM, Supreeth Venkatesh wrote:
> Tom,
>
> Thanks for sending this out as a feeler.
> This sounds like a logical next step after implementation of PLDM and MCTP.
> However, I have a couple of initial questions.
>
> " A provision to run pldmtool targeting OpenBMC over a custom network port and route the request to the PLDM daemon."
> 1. Do you think it is ok to use this as external interface to BMC? I was under the impression that IPMI or Redfish were external facing interfaces to BMC.
>       PLDM was intended for inside the box communications.

I'll let Tom comment as well, but I agree that this use-case probably
does not exist. This tool serves more as a debug aid for in-band PLDM
communication.

> 2. Why not use Redfish device enablement for PLDM, so that the tool (typically http/s client) will issue PLDM requests in the form of Json payload.

What if the PLDM device the BMC is talking to does not implement Redfish?

> 3. Can you describe the use case for the tool to be run on host firmware? In my opinion, this is highly unlikely though it can be run from host user space.

Probably for debug - quickly test a remote PLDM device without having to
write a full blown requester application. Similar to how it would help
when it runs on the BMC.

> Thanks,
> Supreeth

Regards,