IPMI Channel Config Removed?

Vernon Mauery vernon.mauery at linux.intel.com
Sat Feb 23 07:51:29 AEDT 2019

On 22-Feb-2019 09:55 AM, Patrick Venture wrote:
>It looks like the channel config for IPMI was removed from the
>sources.  Instead the channel layer is doing something by checking
>with the sysfs device instances -- and there's some mapping (I haven't
>dug into it).

IPMI channels are configured with a JSON file that lives in
/usr/share/ipmi-providers/channel_config.json on the BMC. The default
file in yocto-land lives at
meta-phosphor/recipes-phosphor/ipmi/phosphor-ipmi-config/channel_config.json
and can be overridden with bbappend.

>I'd like to know if I need to do anything to configure the channels
>such that eth1 is channel 1, and eth0 is channel 0?  Or Did that
>change?  Can I make eth1 channel 5?

Making your own config is as easy as overriding the default with
bitbake.

>All our platforms were using channel configs, and quanta-q71l upstream
>was too, so I'd like some explanation as I don't remember seeing an
>email about it when it was dropped.

I don't recall if there was an email, but several months back, there
were user/channel config reviews out that slowly got merged in.

--Vernon