GUI translation bundles

Derick derick.montague at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 06:02:09 AEDT 2019

Hi Alexander!

Are you going to use some ready framework for translations or are you going
> to develop a new one?

After some previous discussions, it was decided to use Angular Translate -
https://github.com/angular-translate/angular-translate

> It would be great if the solution provided an option for quick language
> switching.

The suggested pattern would be a simple language switcher on the login page.

The problem is that different languages may require the variable part at
> different locations within the string and also may use inclinations, so you
> can't just break such strings apart and translate "You have" and "new
> messages" separately because the translation may not just require writing
> it like "12 new messages you have", but will also be different for, say, 21
> and 22 messages. At least for Russian language the latter is definitely a
> problem to think of: we'll say "У вас 21 новОЕ сообщениЕ", but "У вас 22
> новЫХ сообщениЯ". I believe other Slavic languages, and at least German and
> French are also affected by similar problems.
> That also concerns your question about "common" phrases. What is "common"
> in English, may differ significantly depending on context in other
> languages.
> I implore you to not forget about such peculiarities. In the past I've had
> issues with some software packages whose authors didn't think about that,
> and it was a pain translating those packages.

This is a great point! I would expect, in the example you provided, for the
property value to be the complete sentence, e.g. { new_messages: "You have
{variable} new messages" }.

Derick Montague
Mobile: 512-609-0760
http://www.derick-montague.me