Redfish Dump Service Proposal

Richard Hanley rhanley at google.com
Fri Dec 13 11:55:48 AEDT 2019

Hi Ratan,

I think this service is a really good idea.  A couple of thoughts:

1) I don't think the semantics around the Download action are consistent.
Generally actions are reserved for stateful changes, and only have post
methods.  I think this could be simplified by putting an @odata.id in the
Dump resource that points to the raw dump file.  Then clients can do a
normal HTTP get on that URL.

2) I'm wondering what is the best way to communicate what MIME type the raw
dump supports.  In theory that could be a part of the RawDump resource.
However, a case could be made that it should be put into the Dump resource.

3) Perhaps the dump service should be embedded into other resources,
instead of being a top level service.  I'm imagining something like how the
LogService is setup.  That way there are a lot fewer dumpTypes for any
particular instance of the service.
   a) This could be taken to the extreme, and the DumpService could be
integrated with the existing LogServices.  This would mean adding in a new
log type, and having a new action.

4) It might be a good idea to have some event support in the cases where a
dump is created because of a machine crash.

Regards,
Richard