GUI Component Library

Derick Montague Derick.Montague at ibm.com
Wed Dec 4 07:34:23 AEDT 2019

> My proposal is that we work towards a vision with concepts for the overall site prior to getting into the details, as a method for consensus building.

Designing a site without understanding the base-level building blocks will not work. We need to agree on the foundation before we start trying to build concepts. Building concepts without an agreement on the foundation will not be efficient.

> I think we have the opportunity – leaning on the collaborative strengths that we can all bring – to combine what we have each been working on to make something even better. But it will mean being willing to compromise some of our style preferences to agree on a shared vision. Is there interest on working towards this vision together?

That is the objective of this thread. Since you are opposed to using Carbon, we agreed to use Bootstrap. We are working towards this vision together.

> If we can agree on the big picture, creating a style guide or choosing a design library will be much easier as we’ll have consensus reflecting that shared vision.

I thought we already decided to use Bootstrap-Vue as the component library. Did something change?

> How about we discuss in this week's GUI Design workgroup meeting?

The topics you suggested work. We will need to discuss the framework migration with a focus on how to align on theme customization.