Dropping PECI patches

Joel Stanley joel at jms.id.au
Tue Dec 3 13:47:43 AEDT 2019

On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 at 01:25, Jae Hyun Yoo <jae.hyun.yoo at linux.intel.com> wrote:

> On 12/2/2019 1:54 PM, Joel Stanley wrote:
> > On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 at 18:09, Jae Hyun Yoo <jae.hyun.yoo at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Joel,
> >>
> >> Thanks for letting me know this. Also, thanks a lot for carrying the
> >> out-of-tree PECI patches in OpenBMC kernel tree so far.
> >>
> >> Can I submit updated PECI patches to OpenBMC upstream if I'm gonna add
> >> it back? Linux upstreaming isn't ready yet because configfs support
> >> should be implemented to address subsystem maintainer's comments but it
> >> needs at this moment in OpenBMC kernel tree to keep developing
> >> dbus-sensors support.
> >
> > This was the status back in January. I think it's time to find someone
> > to complete the work on PECI so it can be merged upstream.
> >
> > Once those patches have been posted, we can merge them into the
> > openbmc tree while we wait for them to be merged into mainline.
>
> I've made lots of update in Intel downstream PECI to address
> maintainers' comments except the configfs thing so I agree that PECI
> codes in OpenBMC kernel tree need to be updated. Can you give me a week
> for submission of new patch set into linux upstream? In the meantime,
> I'd like to keep the out-of-tree PECI patches if possible to avoid build
> breaks in dbus-sensors repo.

The build break of dbus-sensors has already held up moving to 5.4 for
a week. I think this situation is a clear demonstration of how
carrying out of tree patches for a long time slows down the
development of the entire project.

I will hold off moving to 5.4 for another week. Please keep us up to
date with your progress.

Cheers,

Joel