How to configure the snmp trap

Ratan Gupta ratagupt at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Sat Aug 31 21:26:10 AEST 2019

On 8/29/2019 4:01 PM, xiuzhi wrote:
> Hi Ratan,
>   I am try to test the snmp trap feature on openbmc 2.8.0-dev.
> There is no more snmp util commands such as snmptrap etc. expect
>  phosphor-network-snmpconf .

You need to configure the snmp trap endpoint via the REST
api(phosphor-rest-server),Please look at the configuration command at
the following link

https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-snmp/blob/master/docs/snmp-configuration.md

We also had a configuration in phosphor-dbus-monitor where it is
configured that for which D-bus event, snmp traps need to be sent.

https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-dbus-monitor/blob/master/src/example/example.yaml

phosphor-dbus-monitor, monitors the D-bus event, and as per the
phosphor-event configuration,snmp trap is  sent.

Once you configure the SNMP trap endpoint and the phosphor-dbus-event
then you need to run the  snmptrapd outside the BMC to receive the SNMP
traps .

You may run the snmptrapd inside the BMC also.

NOTE: Make sure that wherever you are running the snmptrapd, firewall is
not blocking the packets.