custom ntp server in phosphor-networkd

Ratan Gupta ratagupt at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Aug 27 20:32:27 AEST 2019

On 27/08/19 1:13 PM, Alexander A. Filippov wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 10:23:15AM -0700, Vernon Mauery wrote:
>> This is pretty common behavior for DHCP settings.
>
> On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 11:28:36AM +0530, Ratan Gupta wrote:
>> Why this is wrong,
> Ok, ok.  I wasn't clear enough. My appologies.
>
> I've meant that the impossibility to add a custom ntp server while dhcp is
> enabled is wrong. Of course, the list of ntp servers received from DHCP-server
> must be used. And I propose to move only manual settings.
>
> I believe that it is a same stuff with DNS-servers, routes. But probably, the
> BMC is not such kind of devices which is required such deep settings. One of the
> possible reasons was specified by Vernon quoted below:
>
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 10:23:15AM -0700, Vernon Mauery wrote:
>> It seems to me that if you are using static settings for your network,
>> then you would also have static (or user-supplied) settings for NTP and
>> DNS. But if you are using DHCP for the network, it would make sense to
>> use the NTP and DNS settings supplied by the DHCP server.
>>
>> Now it might also be nice to have some reasonable defaults for NTP
>> servers. It is not uncommon to have IP gateways also be NTP servers, so
>> it might be reasonable to attempt to use the gateway as an NTP server if
>> none was specified in the DHCP response. I don't like the idea of
>> setting the default NTP server to be something that is globally
>> addressable because that makes the assumption that the BMC can reach
>> global networks, which should not be the case.
I have the following suggestion

=> By default all the DHCP optional parameters will be set to false(i.e
Don't ask the optional info from the DHCP server) => If users wants the
DHCP provided configuration then it has to set the specific optional
parameters to true(Say NTPEnabled=true). => User configures the Static
NTP => Check if DHCP is enabled then look for the DHCP configuration
parameters, if "NTP Enabled is true"
then user wants the NTP server from the DHCP and in that case don't
allow the static configuration.
=> if DHCP is enabled but in DHCP configuration parameters "NTP Enabled
is false"
then user doesn't want the NTP server from the DHCP and allow the static
configuration.

Link:
https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-dbus-interfaces/blob/master/xyz/openbmc_project/Network/DHCPConfiguration.interface.yaml

Note: It may happen that user has set DHCP Configuration parameters on
the BMC to take the NTP server details from the
DHCP server but have not configured the DHCP server to provide the NTP
server, in that case
Static NTP server configuration will not be allowed.