custom ntp server in phosphor-networkd

Alexander A. Filippov a.filippov at yadro.com
Tue Aug 27 17:43:36 AEST 2019

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 11:28:36AM +0530, Ratan Gupta wrote:
> Why this is wrong,

Ok, ok.  I wasn't clear enough. My appologies.

I've meant that the impossibility to add a custom ntp server while dhcp is
enabled is wrong. Of course, the list of ntp servers received from DHCP-server
must be used. And I propose to move only manual settings.

I believe that it is a same stuff with DNS-servers, routes. But probably, the
BMC is not such kind of devices which is required such deep settings. One of the
possible reasons was specified by Vernon quoted below:

On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 10:23:15AM -0700, Vernon Mauery wrote:
> It seems to me that if you are using static settings for your network,
> then you would also have static (or user-supplied) settings for NTP and
> DNS. But if you are using DHCP for the network, it would make sense to
> use the NTP and DNS settings supplied by the DHCP server.
>
> Now it might also be nice to have some reasonable defaults for NTP
> servers. It is not uncommon to have IP gateways also be NTP servers, so
> it might be reasonable to attempt to use the gateway as an NTP server if
> none was specified in the DHCP response. I don't like the idea of
> setting the default NTP server to be something that is globally
> addressable because that makes the assumption that the BMC can reach
> global networks, which should not be the case.

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 11:28:36AM +0530, Ratan Gupta wrote:
>  * The NTP servers defined in|/etc/systemd/timesyncd.conf|will be
>    appended to the per-interface list at runtime and the daemon will
>    contact the servers in turn until one is found that responds.

So, my propose is to implement this point.

Regards,
Alexander