BMC Operating Mode [Manual / Normal]

vishwa vishwa at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Aug 9 17:13:21 AEST 2019

Hi All,

IBM systems have a need to run BMC either in Manual or Normal Mode. What
it means is this:

Manual: It's mostly a lab / debug mode, where in the system would be
booted with recovery disabled.
For example: If we enter Quiesce state as part of power-on, then BMC
remains in Quiesce state and would *not* attempt to re power-on and
reboot the system.

Normal: This is the default customer mode with recovery enabled in BMC.
For example: If we enter Quiesce state as part of power-on, then an
attempt will automatically be done to re power-on and boot the system.

There are other use-cases, where BMC does a Automatic power-on after
coming back from an AC loss. Manual / Normal would influence this.

My current thought is to make this a settings in phosphor-settings.
Looking to see if others have any use-case like this.

Thank you.

!! Vishwa !!