linux kernel compiler warnings ignored

Andrew Jeffery andrew at aj.id.au
Sat Apr 27 01:14:26 AEST 2019

On Fri, 26 Apr 2019, at 08:01, Patrick Venture wrote:
> I'm getting feedback from a patchset I sent upstream that there are
> compiler warnings.  Which surprised me because my OpenBMC builds with
> those patches don't complain.  I imagine therefore we have them
> silenced and was curious where we silence them.

How are you building the kernel?

I strongly recommend you build kernels directly from the kernel source tree rather than using bitbake, if that's what you're doing.

In the kernel source tree, do:

$ export ARCH=arm
$ export CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi-
$ make aspeed_g5_defconfig
$ make W=1 -j$(nproc)

This exports are from memory, ymmv.

In addition to giving you more output than Greg is after, it has a much lower write/compile/test latency.

Hope that helps,

Andrew