which licenses are allowed for OpenBMC projects

Kurt Taylor kurt.r.taylor at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 05:11:11 AEST 2019

The best answer is: it depends. I would recommend checking with your
legal team on what you will be able to do for your custom product
implementation.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, but generally speaking, you can pull in
other "packages" without worry about them being viral infected. The
term "parts" can mean many things, you will need to figure out whether
just code is being pulled into a existing tree with a different
license, or if you are talking about shipping an additional package
with your product.

Open source licenses and their viral effects:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viral_license
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permissive_software_license
https://www.toptal.com/open-source/developers-guide-to-open-source-licenses

Kurt Taylor (krtaylor)