Repository Growth

Patrick Venture venture at google.com
Thu Sep 20 02:42:16 AEST 2018

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 9:03 AM Adriana Kobylak <anoo at linux.ibm.com> wrote:

> On 2018-09-19 10:47, Patrick Venture wrote:
> > With the growth of number of repositories, it might be overwhelming to
> > someone who wants to set things up.
> >
> > I'd like to write up a directory that groups the repositories by
> > purpose.  I wasn't sure if this made sense, so I wanted early feedback
> > before I started.  The maintenance of it would be horrible for one
> > person, but if someone wants their repository to have details and so
> > on they can add it.
> >
> > I think it's important or useful to know what's out there and how
> > things work together or don't, and what options there are for
> > developers.
> >

> +1 . Do you have a template in mind on how this could look like?

I've been toying around with some ideas on how to organize the
information.  Grouping the subtrees together is a no-brainer, but many
daemons don't really fit into a category.  Maybe that's fine, maybe
then it'd be uncategorized.

I was imagining:

{repository name}
{short description}
works with: {list of related pieces}

for instance:
"""
### phosphor-hwmon
phosphor-hwmon periodically reads and reports hwmon sensor values to dbus.
works with: phosphor-host-ipmid
"""

You don't need to run phosphor-host-ipmid to use phosphor-hwmon, and
phosphor-pid-control and other daemons can also listen to sensor
values or read them over dbus, so I don't know how complete such a
list would need to be.  So maybe the list should be less explicit.  I
realize that the recipes themselves reveal the true dependencies,
either virtual or specific and I don't want to repost information.  I
just want to present a better interface to the set of repositories and
how they work together (or don't) than github has.