jenkins.openbmc.org server infrastructure

Joseph Reynolds joseph-reynolds at charter.net
Tue Oct 30 01:42:45 AEDT 2018

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 14:49:20 -0500
> From: Andrew Geissler <geissonator at gmail.com>
> To: OpenBMC Maillist <openbmc at lists.ozlabs.org>
> Subject: jenkins.openbmc.org ?
>
> I'd had on my list for a while to move us over to a jenkins instance
> running on the same server as our gerrit server. The reasoning was:
>
> 1. OpenBMC has grown to the point where it deserves it's own jenkins
> instance, and tying it to openpower.xyz doesn't really fit anymore.
> 2. The gerrit server (and the new jenkins server) are running within
> Softlayer which has 24x7 support (openpower.xyz is running on donated
> hardware from Rackspace, which is awesome, but support is mainly 2nd
> hand via emails to contacts we have at Rackspace)
> 3. There have been a few instances where the openpower builds have
> affected openbmc (and vice versa).
>
> I went ahead and created a new jenkins instance at the above domain,
> but haven't done anything with it. I've been kind of wishy-washy on
> whether the extra work is really worth it. It's been quite nice having
> Joel maintain our openpower.xyz server with all the security updates
> and such :)
>
> Thoughts from the community?

Andrew, your email reads like a plea for help with OpenBMC project
infrastructure (systems that host OpenBMC servers for Gerrit, Jenkins,
and related CI).  If so, it may help to understand the current
configuration.  Here is my understanding:

- GitHub (source code mirror), hosted by GitHub at
https://github.com/openbmc (various repos).
  - Gerrit (code review tool), hosted by
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz (and redirected from gerrit.openbmc.org).
  - Jenkins (CI server), hosted by https://openpower.xyz, proposal to
move to a new server at https://jenkins.openbmc.org.
  - Various CI build and test servers (run jobs on different hardware
architectures).
  - See history in
https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2016-July/004280.html

Then reading questions into the email:

  * Are community members comfortable with these Gerrit and Jenkins
    servers in terms of ownership and administration privileges?
  * Should we have a larger variety of CI servers?
  * Do we need help administering these servers (workload: reboot
    servers, update Jenkins version, restart CI jobs, etc.)?
  * What are the project ideals?