phosphor-hwmon: Removal of sensors from dbus

Matthew Barth msbarth at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Mar 22 03:06:57 AEDT 2018

In regard to the following issue, please provide any feedback or other
ideas:

https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/issues/2327

After investigating how hwmon currently handles returned error codes of
sensors I've come up with a couple ideas where one of them seems to be
the most optimal choice that I'll describe here (please refer to the
issue on the other).

Currently there's a configure option, that when enabled, removes a
sensor from dbus and allows hwmon to continue when an error on reading
the sensor occurs. I would like to enhance this change to make a hwmon
config file entry that could be used per sensor of a device that defines
a comma separated list of what return code(s) would cause that sensor to
be removed from dbus. This allows the greatest flexibility in handling
how error codes should be handled for a device's sensor(s).

e.g.

LABEL_temp198 = "gpu0_core_temp"

REMOVERC_temp198 = EAGAIN

In addition to this, it may also be possible to include the changes
needed where this REMOVERC config entry could be "globally" defined
where any sensor provided by that device's hwmon config file that
returns the given error code(s) would be removed from dbus. I have not
looked into the effort involved with the change described here, but it
would just be a further enhancement to the one described above.

Thanks,

Matt