IPMI Set LAN Configuration Parameters

Alexander Amelkin a.amelkin at yadro.com
Thu Mar 22 01:49:49 AEDT 2018

Just my 2 cents.

I did previously some commits to the ipmitool project, and can tell that
fixing ipmitool upstream now doesn't seem feasible as the only active
project maintainer (Zdenek Styblik) has called it quits about a year
ago. I've tried asking him to make me an admin of the project he doesn't
want to maintain anymore, but he just stopped responding.

I'm thinking about forking off (actually did it to YADRO organization on
github) and starting to maintain our own version of ipmitool. That
however doesn't solve the problem as the original ipmitool is a part of
all the available Linux distros, and making their maintainers switch to
our version I anticipate to be hell of a quest...

Applying the changes with a timeout after the set-complete looks good to
me as it both follows the specification and allows for addressing the
incorrect behavior of the original ipmitool.

Alexander.