Mailing list posting guidelines

Brad Bishop bradleyb at fuzziesquirrel.com
Fri Feb 9 11:26:00 AEDT 2018

> On Feb 8, 2018, at 5:12 PM, <Michael.E.Brown at dell.com> <Michael.E.Brown at dell.com> wrote:
>
> The posting guidelines are a very large barrier to entry

Ok.  Respectfully disagree.  Even with Outlook, it shouldn’t be
too hard for folks to reply without history, copy/paste a line
of context they want to reply to and drop a greater than in front
of it.

In fact I’ve already seen a couple emails from people where they
were not aware of typical email list guidelines in their first posts
and are now composing mails in the usual way quite nicely.

> and huge source of stress to people wanting to participate

I can understand this.  I went through it myself about 18 months
ago.  But after working in various open communities I now understand
the value of it, and would like to help others see that value too.

> Is there a productive solution to this insoluble problem?

The reality is, if these guidelines aren’t followed people will
simply ignore the email.  I brought up typical email list guidelines
because I didn’t want to see that happening.

-brad