PLDM design proposal

Alexander Amelkin a.amelkin at yadro.com
Thu Dec 20 02:14:14 AEDT 2018

18.12.2018 17:36, Alexander Amelkin wrote:
> 13.12.2018 19:30, Deepak Kodihalli wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I've put down some thoughts below on an initial PLDM design on OpenBMC. Thie structure of the document is based on the OpenBMC design template. Please review and let me know your feedback. Once we've had a discussion here on the list, I can move this to Gerrit with some more details. I'd say reading the MCTP proposal from Jeremy should be a precursor to reading this.
>>
>> # PLDM Stack on OpenBMC
> Hi Deepak!
>
> Thank you for bringing this up.
>
> PLDM/MCTP look like a logical step in context of bringing in RedFish.
>
> Are there any ready Linux-based tools for inband management (similar to ipmitool via /dev/ipmi0) for PLDM/MCTP?

Also I'd like to draw your attention to our need of keeping OpenBMC compatible with OpenPOWER Firmware for P8 family. If you're planning to switch to PLDM/MCTP for BMC-to-PNOR communications, we'd need support for that in PNOR for P8.
P8 is going to remain our main CPU until P9+ is released, but we are very interested in resolving the sensor count limit problems. We're currently developing a workaround for IPMI in context of https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/issues/3417

Alexander.