OpenBMC Raspberry Pi

Andrew Luke Nesbit ullbeking at andrewnesbit.org
Fri Dec 14 02:56:11 AEDT 2018

On 13/12/2018 13:34, Andrew Geissler wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 4:52 PM M. D. Truong <truongmd at gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

>> On a GitHub fork of OpenBMC code, sitting on the
>> "raspberrypi-cm3" branch are some patches that will build a working
>> distribution.
>>
>> https://github.com/truongmd/openbmc/tree/raspberrypi-cm3
>
> Hey My, this is great. Especially for people looking to get started
> with OpenBMC. Raspberry pi's are easy to get and very
> affordable.

Yes, indeed this is fantastic!!  I have a spare RPi 3B+ plus a lot of
accessories that I bought for a different project that never worked out.
 Now I can try using this for OpenBMC, which is much more exciting to me
anyway, than that other project was, and the people here are much nicer!

> Any chance you were going to upstream these changes to
> the OpenBMC project so we could have them officially in
> the code base?

Andrew, I've been gradually getting involved with OpenBMC at my own
pace, and finally have a little more time than I did six months ago.  (I
was ill over New Year, then I changed jobs, etc.  I've been very busy
with other things than computers recently ;-)

Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help.  I'd be happy
to test, write docs, perform reproducible builds, and engineer
infrastructure.

I'm a production engineer by profession (much like an SRE) and I am
considering getting involved with the OpenBMC Infrastructure Workgroup.

>> The README.md file has most of useful notes on building the code and
>> bringing it up on a device. I'm looking for feedback on changes before
>> pushing the code upstream. Features is a completely separate area for
>> discussion.

My RPi is the RPi 3B+.  Will this work out-of-the-box with your branch?

>> This was a great learning experience and I hope it's useful for others.

Congratulations on this great achievment!! :-)

Deep down I'm a fan of Orange Pi, so if all goes well I will look into
porting it to OPi :-)

Kind regards,

Andrew
--
OpenPGP key: EB28 0338 28B7 19DA DAB0  B193 D21D 996E 883B E5B9