Initial MCTP design proposal

Deepak Kodihalli dkodihal at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Dec 7 16:13:48 AEDT 2018

On 07/12/18 8:11 AM, Jeremy Kerr wrote:
> Hi OpenBMCers!
>
> In an earlier thread, I promised to sketch out a design for a MCTP
> implementation in OpenBMC, and I've included it below.

Thanks Jeremy for sending this out. This looks good (have just one
comment below).

Question for everyone : do you have plans to employ PLDM over MCTP?

We are interested in PLDM for various "inside the box" communications
(at the moment for the Host <-> BMC communication). I'd like to propose
a design for a PLDM stack on OpenBMC, and would send a design template
for review on the mailing list in some amount of time (I've just started
with some initial sketches). I'd like to also know if others have
embarked on a similar activity, so that we can collaborate earlier and
avoid duplicate work.

> [...]
> available at:
>
>    https://www.dmtf.org/standards/pmci
>
> I have included a small diagram of how these standards may fit together
> in an OpenBMC system. The DSP numbers there are references to DMTF
> standards.
>
> One of the key concepts here is that separation of transport protocol
> from the hardware bindings; this means that an MCTP "stack" may be using
> either a I2C, PCI, Serial or custom hardware channel, without the higher
> layers of that stack needing to be aware of the hardware implementation.
> These higher levels only need to be aware that they are communicating
> with a certain entity, defined by an Entity ID (MCTP EID).
>
> I've mainly focussed on the "transport" part of the design here. While
> this does enable new messaging protocols (mainly PLDM), I haven't
> covered that much; we will propose those details for a separate design
> effort.
>
> As part of the design, I have referred to MCTP "messages" and "packets";
> this is intentional, to match the definitions in the MCTP standard. MCTP
> messages are the higher-level data transferred between MCTP endpoints,
> which packets are typically smaller, and are what is sent over the
> hardware. Messages that are larger than the hardware MTU are split into
> individual packets by the transmit implementation, and reassembled at
> the receive implementation.
>
> A final important point is that this design is for the host <--> BMC
> channel *only*. Even if we do replace IPMI for the host interface, we
> will certainly need an IPMI interface available for external system
> management.
>
> ## Requirements
>
> Any channel between host and BMC should:
>
>   - Have a simple serialisation and deserialisation format, to enable
>     implementations in host firmware, which have widely varying runtime
>     capabilities
>
>   - Allow different hardware channels, as we have a wide variety of
>     target platforms for OpenBMC
>
>   - Be usable over simple hardware implementations, but have a facility
>     for higher bandwidth messaging on platforms that require it.
>
>   - Ideally, integrate with newer messaging protocols
>
> ## Proposed Design
>
> The MCTP core specification just provides the packetisation, routing and
> addressing mechanisms. The actual transmit/receive of those packets is
> up to the hardware binding of the MCTP transport.
>
> For OpenBMC, we would introduce an MCTP daemon, which implements the
> transport over a configurable hardware channel (eg., Serial UART, I2C or
> PCI). This daemon is responsible for the packetisation and routing of
> MCTP messages to and from host firmware.
>
> I see two options for the "inbound" or "application" interface of the
> MCTP daemon:
>
>   - it could handle upper parts of the stack (eg PLDM) directly, through
>     in-process handlers that register for certain MCTP message types; or

We'd like to somehow ensure (at least via documentation) that the
handlers don't block the MCTP daemon from processing incoming traffic.
The handlers might anyway end up making IPC calls (via D-Bus) to other
processes. The second approach below seems to alleviate this problem.

Regards,
Deepak