SOL Logging

Tanous, Ed ed.tanous at intel.com
Wed Aug 29 09:00:32 AEST 2018

> You mentioned the possibility of pre-populating the scrollback buffer of the console interface. I am wondering if you have any more information about
 > how difficult this would be to implement. Our concern when thinking about doing this was how complex it might get to fetch the file and populate the console
> while at the same time receiving messages by websocket without missing any messages. Any insight on this?

I don't think the hard part is reading in the file and playing it back.  I think the hard part is that the characters that changed the screen state may have already scrolled past the end of the buffer, in which case, you've lost the data that you need to properly paint the screen.  I would likely be better than nothing, but might not be enough?

With that said, isn't this exactly the use case that screen or tmux have?  Is there code we could steal and drop into obmc-console from one of those that tracks the screen state, and on the connection of a new client, blasts the screen state down so that it matches exactly?