SOL Logging

Jeremy Kerr jk at ozlabs.org
Tue Aug 28 03:00:23 AEST 2018

Hi Ed,

> Instead, other BMCs implement it as a circular buffer inside the BMC
> itself, which allows SOL to log data all the time, not just while the
> user is logged in.

The obmc-console infrastructure does exactly that; the circular buffer
is available under /var/log/obmc-console.log (by default), and the
maximum size is configurable.

We may want to augment that with some other bits, like:

  - making this file available over the web UI (including
    transparently pre-populating the scrollback buffer of the
    console interface);

    and/or

  - archiving the log on certain events (like specific host state
    changes; checkstop on OpenPOWER implementeations)

If there's anything that I can change in obmc-console to make things
work with your plans, let me know.

Cheers,

Jeremy