UART Route setting

Patrick Venture venture at google.com
Sat Aug 4 00:59:05 AEST 2018

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 8:33 PM, Andrew Jeffery <andrew at aj.id.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Aug 2018, at 12:50, Oskar Senft wrote:
>> Interesting suggestion, that looks promising, thank you?
>>
>> What's the state of that driver? I.e. where do we expect it to land?
>
> If you think the bmc-misc-ctrl series is useful, please reply to the
> upstream thread to outline all of your use-cases. There's a lot of push-
> back on using the devicetree to describe these features, and I haven't
> had a lot of feedback on the acceptability of the rest (driver itself,
> userspace ABI).
>
> The more evidence we have of this being necessary/useful the better.

I just skimmed that message, and we're looking for a mechanism to set
in the kernel some bits in the hwstrapping and other hardware
registers to do things like restrict P2A ranges, disable lpc2ahb
stuff, etc.  Things we had hacked into the mach-aspeed.c (iirc), and I
wasn't sure it made sense to write a half dozen small drivers to
control these individual things -- would these kind of use cases fall
under this misc driver?